Probus is an association of retired and semi-retired men who joined together in autonomous Clubs throughout the world.
The basic purpose of a Probus Club is to provide regular gatherings of men who in retirement, appreciate the valued opportunities to meet others in similar circumstances and of a similar level of interest. The emphasis of the club being:
- simple in structure
- free from constraints and obligations of service clubs
- involve members in the minimum of costs
- be directed, primarily, to provide fellowship and opportunity of acquaintance with other members of the club
- seeking members who are compatible with one another.
The activities normally involve:
- a meeting on a set day, followed by a speaker or a discussion, and
- visits to places and/or organisations of particular interest to members and other social activities.