CVS acts as a support and development organisation and exists to champion and strengthen local charities, voluntary organisations and community groups.
SCVS works in partnership with the public sector and the private sector to maximise benefits for the Voluntary and Community Sector.
- provide specialist expertise, information and support and help develop the skills local people need to run successful organisations and groups
- spread good practice, prevent duplication of effort and support joint working
- help groups find funding and make effective use of resources
- promote equality and diversity by fostering a wider understanding of the needs of disadvantaged and under-represented groups
- make sure policy makers understand the needs of local voluntary organisations and community groups
- help public bodies engage effectively with local voluntary organisations and community groups
- provide a forum for local voluntary organisations and community groups
- encourage more people to volunteer and get involved in voluntary and community action.