The Hop Yard helps adults with learning disabilities to develop self-confidence, learn new skills and make friends. Contact the Head Office (based in Lenham, Kent) to find out more information about the following:
- ‘Horse and Cart’ to ride horses and do other yard activities such as haying, making up horse feeds, mucking out, sweeping the yard, filling water buckets, clearing fields and grooming;
- ‘Chicken Dippers’ to help look after hens, gather the eggs, prepare eggs to be sold to the public;
- ‘The Land Army’ is ideal for people who enjoy working on the land and growing flowers, fruit and vegetables;
- The ‘Ham and Pickle’ is a catering studio for learning to cook food for personal use and for sale. This helps develop skills in menu planning, food shopping, budgeting and cleaning;
- The ‘Market Stall’ offers the opportunity to sell fruit, vegetables and flowers to the public and develop money handlng skills.
- The ‘Jump Club’ is a disco club that takes place on the first of every month;
- The ‘HopShed Theatre Company’ brings together people of all ages and abilities to act and produce plays;
- ‘Talkabout Club’ is a safe and relaxed place to talk explore and share experiences about many issues such as keeping safe, respect, privacy and learning to make your own decisions;
- The HopYard also runs shared houses for adults with disabilities in Whitstable where adults, under supervision can learn how to shop, cook, clean, laundry, make beds and bed make and gardening;
- ‘Fur and Feather Animal Centre’ to look after birds and animals such as cockatiels, budgies, rabbits, rats, guinea pigs and hamsters, sheep, goats and a pig;
- ‘Pen and Ink Studio’ to be creative in pencil, pen, paint, textile design, sewing, print, wool crafts, felt, silk, paper machè , sculpture and model making;
- ‘Music Hall’ to create and record music on the computer, play an instrument or role play (acting);
The Sleep Over service offers short stays in Whitstable, Newington and Maidstone. Sleep Overs can be for one night or as much as one week. They offer a great opportunity to get together with friends, increase independence and have time away from home.