Streetworks involves a variety of maintenance and construction tasks which occur on the roads and highways in the UK. Students will gain experience of working in this environment including:
- Underground detection apparatus to identify underground services, i.e. Electrical and Radio.
- Site plans to locate other services, such as water, sewage and gas.
- Signing, lighting and guarding at the site location, which includes setting up traffic lights systems, traffic flow systems, road signage and the protection of areas.
- Excavation of road surfaces by use of plant and power tools
- Re-instatement of road surfaces by use of plant and power tools
- Paving and kerbing.
Students will receive certificates of competence in these processes.