The Virtual School acts as a local authority champion to promote the progress and educational attainment of children and young people who are or who have been in care so that they achieve educational outcomes comparable to their peers. Ensuring that they receive a high quality education is the foundation for improving their lives.
The school does not exist in real terms, or as a building. Children do not attend it - they remain the responsibility of the school at which they are enrolled. VSK is simply an organisation which has been created for the effective co-ordination of educational services at a strategic and operational level.
What do we do?
- Influence policy and develop and improve services.
- Promote individual achievement and wellbeing.
- Provide advice, support and training to professionals, schools, colleges and institutions.
- Improve access to specialist services.
- Provide access to professional advice and guidance on education, training and employment.
- Provide additional opportunities for out of school learning and leisure.
- Facilitate access to early education and child care.